Lee Ann tagged me for this one. I was pretty sure I’d done this one before, but I couldn’t find it, so here goes. I’ve mixed text and photos this time around. This is just mostly random stuff from the past week.
The Seven Random Things About Me Meme!!
But first, the rules:
Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
Let them know they are tagged by leaving comments on their blogs.
I’m not tagging anybody for this. You’re all on your own. If you do decide to do this, let me know, I’d love to stop by for a visit to see your randomness.
1. I love spring and all the spring produce at the farmers’ market. Every spring I find some new vegetable that I’ve never heard of.
2. This spring it was flowering kale.
I clean it, saute some green garlic (or regular garlic), add the kale, stir for a moment, then add a bit of chicken stock, cover, and steam for a few minutes. When it’s time to eat, I put a splash of balsamic vinegar in it, with salt and pepper. I cook most of our greens this way, though sometimes I use raspberry vinegar for excitement.
3. I love halibut. I would have a very difficult time living anywhere but where I do, as we can get good quality fresh fish routinely. One of the vendors at the farmers’ market sells fresh fish, and while it’s not cheap, it’s a regular menu item around here.
This was the rest of the meal that went with the kale. There’s grilled halibut with a splash of homemade pesto, and risotto cakes. We make those with leftover risotto. You just form it into cakes and saute in olive oil until they are crispy on the outside and heated through.
Here’s that risotto in its first life:
John made it with chopped sorrel, and it was served with fresh scallops, sauteed chard, and asparagus, all from the farmers’ market.
5. Another random fact:
We love a good bottle of wine around here. That is Yorkville Cellars Semillion, one of our favorite summer white wines.
6. I have some wacky stuff in my house. Here’s one of them:
Salt chickens! We love using good sea salt at the table, but the flakes don’t work in a shaker, and I just think this is more pleasing than a salt grinder.
7. Last but not least, my pencil collection. Yes, I’m a pencil geek. I even belong to a pencil-of-the-month club. Don’t laugh, I’m not making this up. Here it is. And here’s mine.
Oh wait, that’s not quite all of it. I don’t collect anything halfway. In my defense, I do actually use my pencils, though it looks as though the life expectancy of my pencil stash rivals mine. You might note that I collect erasers and sharpeners, too.
By the way, I’m not the only pencil loon out there. Here’s a blog that’s in my blog lineup as a daily read. And I actually got a proposal of marriage last week from another geek who is coveting my pencils. I think she just wants me for my office supplies, though.
Next time, perhaps a finished project!